To hang the lower rear cabinet doors, some finish work was required on the cabinet edge. Thinking ahead too, we decided to dry fit the Aquatainer in the lower cabinet space beneath the countertop. If you recall from an earlier post, the goal is to piano hinge the lower cabinet face to enable rear removal of the mattress. Upon taking a measurement, we realized we had left the cabinet too shallow to accommodate to Aquatainer. We are realized that the the front edge of the countertop lacked support and rigidity, so we decided to extend and strengthen the countertop with a piece of walnut trim. Measuring about 3/4" x 1", the walnut was biscuited and glued to the face of the countertop. In profile, a diagram of this arrangement looks like this:
Next up, latches. The latches we selected are a matchbox style, and required a relatively square edge to the cabinet face to allow the latch and the catch faces to butt close enough to each other to allow the latch tongue to engage the catch. Because of the lip style of the cabinets, the catches need to be raised from the face to meet the face of the doors. Using some walnut patches, wood glue, and screws, the mounted latches and catches look like this:
That's it for now. Next up, cabinet staining, and soon after: electrical, insulation, and doors...